It’s been a wet day, but maybe not wet enough for the #65 Maximum Motorsport Impreza of Dean Herridge and Chris Murphy. A day of fast and open stages has suited the Nissan GTRs of Steven Jones and Tony Quinn, the more powerful cars slipping free of the rest of the field. Try as he may Dean was able to capture a win on one stage only today, with Jones and Quinn dividing the spoils.
“Normally rain is a bit of an equaliser in motorsport, and it was helpful today. The stages suited the more powerful cars, so to be sitting comfortably in as podium position isn’t too bad a result”, Dean said at the end of the day.
Defending Targa West champ Steven Jones battled with overnight leader Tony Quinn for most of the day, but by the end of leg two Jones had taken the lead with a handy 51 second lead, while Dean remaining in third and 22 secs adrift of Quinn.
Saturdays stages formed a loop to the north-east of Perth, and Sunday with feature re-runs of some of those stages, before the crews head back toward Perth and the finish line at the Burswood Entertainment Complex.
Quit Targa West – Leg 2 Results, Modern Competition
1. Steven Jones, Nissan GTR 35, 1:10:20.0 0
2. Tony Quinn, Nissan GTR 35, +51.0
3. Dean Herridge, Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, +1:13.0
4. Dylan Thomas, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9 RS, +2:41.0
5. Peter Major, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6 RS, +2:45.0
11. Rob Herridge, Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, +4:03.0
21. Graham Iddles, Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, +9:56.0
31. Paul Carrucan, Subaru Impreza WRX Sti RA, +12:43.0
46. David Iddles, Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, +19:32.0
Photos courtesy of Peter Evans.